Monday 14 May 2012

Lush

I don't say 'lush' very often.  For me, 'lush' is something inexplicably 'nice', a bit indulgent, a bit special.

Yesterday I went for a run.  I was a bit short on time (roast dinner waiting!) so I ditched the 3-miler shod run I had planned in favour of a one-miler in my new FiveFinger Classics (which I've been wearing in over the past week walking around).

The Classics are thinner than the TrekSports, so I needed to get even closer to a barefoot technique than I had in the TrekSports.  It's still not the same as running completely barefoot though.  So, after two thirds of a mile (and once back away from the main road and in the safety of my side roads), I pulled off the Classics (much quicker than taking off trainers) and ran the last third of a mile in bare feet.

It was a sunny day, the pavement was warm under my feet, and the ground felt great.  Slightly scratchy, warmth from the earth, and the quiet 'pad, pad' of my feet.  My feet felt strong, my soles felt tough, but sensitive, the pavement seemed less scratchy than on previous runs.  It was liberating and fun.  As I ran through my front door, all I could say was 'lush', because that's exactly what it was.

I woke up this morning in a really good mood.  I'm definitely making progress, and I'm almost craving the feel of the ground on my feet. I think I'm turning a bit hippie!  Can't wait to go a bit further.  I might even be brave enough to hit the main road soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment